Rye Grass Turf Care Instructions
- It is important that the turf is laid on the same day that it is received. Finelawn will not warrantee the quality of our turf product if it is stored prior to use.
- Apply Pre Plant fertilizer to the soil at 4kgs per 100m2 prior to installing the turf.
- Immediately after the turf is laid, water to saturation point. Thereafter, keep moist until established. This will take approximately 14-21 days. In summer, when evaporation levels are high, it is vital to maintain the moisture content of the plant.
- It is preferable to apply water in either the mornings or during the evenings, rather than during the day. Avoid excessive watering as this will lead to ponding. The ponded water heats up and scorches the plant.
- Mow frequently during the establishment phase at the highest setting on your mower to avoid scalping. This will assist in promoting root development. The initial mowing should be at 40mm – 50mm. Thereafter, mowing every 5-6 days at no lower than 35mm, is optimal through this period. Once the turf is established, normal mowing can continue at a recommended height of 30mm.
- Mow using a catcher to avoid leaf litter decomposing and creating an ideal environment for fungal infection. Ensure the mower blades are sharp and maintain a minimum mowing height of 30mm. It is preferable to mow in different directions with each cut to avoid a graining effect.
- Apply Turf Gold fertiliser four (4) weeks after installation and then every 10-12 weeks at 25grams/m2. A regular application of fertiliser ensures maintenance of the colour, vigour and density of the sward and therefore reduces the likelihood of weed infestations and diseases. This is a key component to maintaining the turf in a healthy state after establishment.
- The lawn may require spraying for broadleaf weeds on a bi-annual basis. Please contact the office for advice and recommendations on spraying practices.
If you have any further queries about the maintenance of your lawn please get in touch with us.
Finelawn Instant Turf, established in 1986.